This morning dawned bright and early as usual (for some reason the girls wake up at 6 a.m. every morning - which is 4 a.m. Utah time - I haven't figured that out). Curly was excited that we had plans to go to Costco with our friends - the Collings. I was getting ready to go and couldn't find my drivers license. I keep my license, metro card, and a credit card bundled in a rubber band so that it is easy to keep in my pocket when we go sight seeing - all three were missing. After searching my room, I asked Curly if she had seen them. She said "I did!" and ran into her room. She pointed at the air vent and said "They're down there." I took off the cover and could the see the credit card and metro card. I tried to use a long spoon to slide them within reach and heard the metro card fall with a clang, but was able to get the credit card. And thus began the excavation of my metro card and drivers license. Our friends arrived about that time and Lia and her sister were very helpful. We tried a long spoon, an unwound hanger with inverted duct tape on the end, a vacuum hose, and some other interesting contraptions that we rigged, but alas - we could not recover the cards. We also attempted to pry open the vent in the basement (which is fortunately not finished) but gave up on that. I tried a few more things during the day and stuck a camera down the hole to take a picture which showed nothing within sight - uh oh! (but thank goodness for the miracle of instant digital photography). I called the Utah DMV and found out that without the ability to be there in person, it would take 3 months to get a replacement license. It was then that I decided to wait for Fisher's advice.
On his mission, the other Elders called him MacGyver for good reason. After attempting several of the same things I had, Fisher pried the vent open below - Long story short - After a lot of time, vast amounts of dust, another hole in the vent (cut with a utility knife and hammer- see what I mean - MacGyver), and all the house hold tools we could squirrel up, we were victorious! Fisher told Curly that if she ever puts my cards down the vent again she will be in time out forever! She reiterated this to me as I put her to bed tonight.
The first futile attempts
So close, then gone!

After cutting the first hole. The metro cards corner is barely showing up close and the drivers license is just visible way down the vent.
I love my MacGyver!
8 comments:
I'm so sorry to say this, but I am laughing my head off. Time out forever!!!! I love when your kid has done something rotten and then they tell you about it later in a very matter-of-fact way. Yeah, I was a bad girl today! That's awesome! Three cheers for MacGyver!
I already knew Fisher was a genius because he married YOU! I bet you're so proud of your MacGyver. ;) I'm missing Curly's adorable giggle and the random phrases that she would say! Come home soon, okay!
AAAAAH! What trauma. Doesn't it make you crazy that little plastic cards control your life? Yea for handy husbands who manage to remain calm under the direst of circumstances and can fix almost anything.
Good story E-dawg! I'm excited to see you soon!
I love your blog! Such great entertainment! That little girl of yours cracks me up. So glad you got it all back.
Good job MacGyver. You should do a SCOTUS entry on how the new 2nd amendment opinion effects your safety in the metro area. Don't get shot you guys, Scalia is out to get you.
Hey Quirk...it's Pebbles! Been a long time eh? Your family is so cute!!!
Yeah, after two weeks with us and Audrey's feats on her final day, I think Chari's pretty much decided never to have children. :) Congrats to Warren on his ingenuity! And I love your nicknames!
Post a Comment