This year was a big birthday for me. The dreaded 3-0, though I am not sure why so dreaded? I wasn't expecting much - just a quiet family birthday dinner with cake. We knew Fisher's family was gathering in Utah and I was feeling a bit sad that we couldn't join them. Fisher has been busy studying for a BIG, hairy specialty board exam which has taken up most of the little spare time he has - so like I said, I wasn't expecting much. My low expectations were met and exceeded by an eventful, memorable birthday weekend!
The weekend started great with a Friday night "Sweetheart Dinner" that my cooking club plans each year. Spouses are invited and this year the menu was French with a full 20 courses - or at least it seemed that way. I guess there were more like ten courses. It was all so delicious with good company and an evening of great conversation. On Saturday night, Fisher surprised me with a special date to the Art Museum and then dinner at a very nice restaurant. An even more delicious night with wonderful company and conversation.
On Sunday morning I slept in to my hearts desire and finally dragged myself out of bed at 7:30 because the girls were "ready" for me to see my birthday decor and display. I walked into the family room and two cute giggly girls hopped out and said "Happy Birthday!" Then I headed toward the kitchen to see the traditional Birthday display when an equally
cute beautiful, but much older girl popped up from behind my counter and said "Happy Birthday!" I can't even describe how completely confused and speechless I was to see my little sister standing in my kitchen early on a Sunday morning. I think I just stared at her for 30 seconds trying to figure out how in the world she got from Washington DC to Peoria, AZ in a few hours and without me knowing! But
K-Rae did - It was the best birthday surprise! I was so happy to see her!
 |
| Birthday Surprises |
We had a nice, low-key day. After church Fisher and K-Rae made a delicious Birthday dinner of Chicken Piccata, Sauteed snow peas, rolls, and Key Lime Pie. K-Rae is a great cook and she and Warren made a very impressive and delicious meal. Now that I think about it - I ate a lot of really good food in the course of three days!
 |
| Birthday Dinner |
 |
| Key Lime Pie - A favorite! |
We enjoyed a some evening games, the birthday treasure hunt and then went to bed early as we were all pretty worn out. My whole day was peppered with phone calls and emails from family and friends wishing me a happy birthday and sharing favorite memories with me. It was so lovely to read the emails and talk to people. I felt so loved and I really could not have asked for a better day!
On Monday we headed to the Children's Museum. The girls have been asking to go for months and they had a blast. I was very glad that K-Rae was with me to talk with and have an extra set of hands!
 |
| Hiding out in the noodle forest |
 |
| Ice cream for sale |
 |
| The bike "car wash" |
As if flying across the country to surprise me wasn't enough, K-Rae gave me a pedicure for my b-day and so we spent Monday evening talking while she rubbed my feet and Fisher dozed on the couch. Her trip was far too short and after a Tuesday morning walk and quick shopping trip, it was time to head to the airport. While we were waiting for Curly's bus, she and Lou traced each other on the sidewalk. Lou completed the picture by connecting their hands. We are so glad K-Rae came. I am grateful for wonderful family and friends who took time to make it a special birthday weekend!
3 comments:
How Awesome! I'm so glad you had a great Birthday.
Great times, happy memories! Thanks for sharing the fun!
What a great post. So glad that your 30 flirty and thriving birthday went so well and came with so many great memories. :) Good luck to Fisher!!!
Post a Comment