Monday, February 4, 2008

Cake


"Cakes have gotten a bad rap. People equate virtue with turning down dessert. There is always one person at the table who holds up her hand when I serve the cake. No, really, I couldn't, she says, and then gives her flat stomach a conspiratorial little pat. Everyone who is pressing a fork into that first tender layer looks at the person who declined the plate, and they all think, that person is better than I am. That person has discipline. But that isn't a person with discipline, that is a person who has completely lost touch with joy. A slice of cake never made anybody fat. You don't eat the whole cake. You don't eat a cake every day of your life. You take the cake when it is offered because the cake is delicious. You have a slice of cake and what it reminds you of is someplace that's safe, uncomplicated, without stress. A cake is a party, a birthday, a wedding. A cake is what's served on the happiest days of your life."
From "Eat Cake" by Jeanne Ray

4 comments:

Windybrook Spinner said...

Amen! I think it is pretty rude to refuse a dessert at a small gathering when the host/hostess has gone to the trouble of making something. I mean, if you have a health issue such as diabetes, or whatever, I get it, but I agree about missing out on the joy and making everyone else feel bad. Treats are definitely part of the fun for me of getting together for book club or whatever.

Rachel said...

You have quoted from just about my favorite book on the planet...I LOVE that quote! And how true how true. I'd better go get a slice of cake.

Barb said...

Hey Elaine. I hope you don't mind me stopping by. I noticed my cousin, Kristin's comment to you on Facebook. Blogger is the best! It's a great way to see what's going on with everyone. Stop by my blog sometime: http://barbsblurbs.blogspot.com I write about nothing, but it's still fun. Your family is way cute.

Kelly said...

I love this quote! So funny. So true.