Sunday, April 12, 2009

It has been an eventful two weeks with so many unrelated activities that each deserve their own blog post... but, I will only highlight a few and post lots of pictures to share the rest. Ironically, the three events that I would like to describe, have few or no pictures to accompany them.

Fisher was out of town a few weekends ago and I decided to make a quick trip the Idaho to visit my parents. Curly, Lou and I had so much fun with their grandparents jumping on the trampoline, cooking yummy foods, looking at old pictures, and playing with the plethora of toys in grandma's playroom. This trip was partially inspired by something I have been thinking about lately - that is the importance of family and the uncertainty of life.

Fisher's sister in law's mother was diagnosed with cancer a little over a month ago and passed away a week ago leaving six children (three still at home) and her husband. Her diagnosis and the knowledge that she didn't have much time left on earth brought their family home to spend as much time together as possible and to care for their wife and mother. I attended the funeral this week and the comment was made that Norene had lived her life so fully and righteously that when she knew her time was short, the only thing she had left to do was to be with her husband and children. Listening to her life sketch, I wished I had known her better. She was a wonderful person. Finally, I was amazed at how peacefully and beautifully her children presented her memorial. They know that they will see their mother again. I am especially grateful this Easter for the knowledge that I have of eternal life and eternal families that are made possible by the resurrection of our Savior, Jesus Christ.

The final event of the week took place last night. My sister, Ammie and I wanted to plan a special date night for my grandparents. With the help of our cousins, we cooked a dinner, turned their living room into a restaurant, and then presented a "variety show" with each of the cousins performing a talent or skit. I have to admit that the whole evening went much better than I had ever dreamed...all of my cousins came through with a performance and my sister and dad altered an old "Gilbert and Sullivan" song (one of my grandparents favorite) with words describing why we love to go to Grandpa and Grandma's house. We all sang this for the finale. It was a fun evening and I am glad that we were able to show Grandpa and Grandma how much we love and appreciate them.

And now for the pictures...


Ammie dyeing Easter Eggs with us. We are sad that she is going back to college this week : (

The crafts we made for my preschool lesson this week

Curly, Lou and I were all happy that the beautiful weather returned!


An Easter Egg hunt with family and friends

My brother dressed up as the server for the date night.



Happy Easter!

2 comments:

Windybrook Spinner said...

Look at Curly and Lou's darling Easter dresses! That Easter Egg Hunt and the dinner for GM & GP were so much fun Elaine. Thanks for including us. It means a lot to me.

Rachel said...

That is so AWESOME that you pulled that off for your grandparents - it's like something out of Parent Trap! That's awesome. Sweet post.