Sunday, June 6, 2010

Trekkers

Fisher and I had the amazing and unique experience this week of being part of a Pioneer Trek in our Stake. Back in October, we were asked to go as a ma and pa on the trek. But because were are expecting (have I mentioned we are having a baby) the Stake Presidency decided it would be better for us to go as camp cooks. At first I was disappointed, but now, after seeing how difficult the trail was, I can admit that I was wrong and it would have been very hard for me to keep up the energy required to be a pioneer ma.
As I said the experience was wonderful. We worked hard, but we rubbed shoulders with amazing people. We weren't on vacation, but the people we worked with made it feel like we were. Everyone was happy, ready to help, and quick to laugh. We met people that we probably would never meet - like the head cooks (pictured below) who planned all the food (we were their helpers).
To give you an idea of the group - there were 280 "trekkers" divided into 20 families. There was also a back up camp crew of about 30 people (4 woman and lots of men). The dedication of this crew is what continually amazed me. They spent hours and hours planning and preparing for the trek months in advance. Then, they happily took a week of their time to prepare, run, and clean up the trek. On top of that, most of them volunteered their resources and supplies - semi trucks, forklifts, rhinos, pickups, trailers, water trucks, camp kitchens, camp gear, materials to build handcarts, a small temple replica, crates, pioneer games, a stage... I could go on and on. It was incredible to me to see the sacrifice of so many people to create this 4 day experience for 200 youth.

But, it was worth it! I saw the changes that happened in the youth and heard them share the testimony strengthening experiences that they had. I know it is an experience that they will never forget, and neither will we.



9 comments:

Windybrook Spinner said...

Amazing, and you two make such cute pioneer cooks.

elyse said...

I'm really liking Fisher's facial hair. Nice!

Valerie said...

Trek is always an amazing experience! Congrats on the new addition!

Traciannee said...

What pregnant? Congratulations! Glad you were still able to go on Trek and have a great time!

Catherine said...

You little stinker! I love how you snuck in the news of the baby. Wahoo! Congrats! When are you due? Now we details, Lainey! Miss you!

Lindsay said...

Congratulations on the baby!
When are you due?

It looks like you guys had such a good time.

To answer your question, We live in Colorado.

Are you going to go to the Brighton reunion?

K-Rae said...

I'm so glad you got to be a part of that! It was fun V-chatting with you tonight!

PS - The little mouse was so nostalgic and I loved the pictures.

LAINA said...

So, I still remember the trek I went on as a Young Woman so vividly. It was a wonderful time. I can't wait to get to go as an adult some time in my life.

Love how you snuck in the pregnancy news.

Linds said...

Sounds so awesome! So glad you were a cook instead of a ma. Anyway, yay about the baby. Do you know what you are having yet? We just found out today.