Sunday, March 23, 2008

Roughin' It!


I survived the camping trip. We all did! It actually went a lot better than I imagined/ dreaded. The weather was beautiful during the day but almost freezing (literally) at night. Lou stayed warm in her tights, onesie, three layers of fleece pajamas, fleece hat, gloves and a few blankets. I got cold in my double layer pajamas, hat, and mummy bag. I am not sure how Curly survived. She refused to wear more than one layer of pajamas and refused to sleep in her sleeping bag. After she fell asleep I tried to cover her with her sleeping bag and blankets, but she kept kicking them off. The only time she had a fit about being cold was outside the tent during breakfast each morning when she refused to wear her coat. Curly and Lou (miraculously) only woke us up once each night. I have to mention that we have an embarassingly large tent. We got it super cheap and didn't realize it was super huge (it's a 12 person tent!). The nice thing about this is that Lou slept in her porta-crib on one side of the tent and Curly slept on the other.
Things were great during the day - 70 degrees, beautiful sunshine and scenery. Curly was a real trooper on hikes. If you've ever been to Zion you will know that it is pretty impressive that she hiked all the way up to the Upper Emerald Pool by herself. I was very impressed. Lou didn't particularly enjoy hiking because it meant she was strapped into the carrier. She much preferred crawling in the dirt and eating sticks and leaves.
I have been to Zion several times, but my husband has just been once. My grandpa grew up spending his summer in Zion while his father did research there. Fisher wanted to see some of the sights and places where grandpa used to play. So we visited the ghost town Grafton where grandpa's mother taught school. We did several short hikes and played in "Wiley Grove" which is a canyon with a stream running through it. The grove is just above the employee housing and my grandpa spent a lot of time swimming and making dams in the stream.
I guess I would say our trip was a success, (The adjustment afterward has been a bit rough with the girls) I don't know that I will be pushing Fisher to go again any time soon.
Grafton, UT (My mom painted a picture of this that hung over my grandma's fireplace)
Emerald Pool Hike - Curly walked right under those chains. AAH! Gave me a heart attack!
The Girls and I at Wiley Grove


Fisher and Curly playing in the stream

Canyon Overlook Trail

9 comments:

Kelly said...

Your family pictures looks great! I'm glad everybody slept well. You never quite know how that may go when you're camping... Looks like you had fun! The pics are great!

Bekah said...

Technology is a great thing! Your girls are adorable and your family looks so happy! Congrats!

Windybrook Spinner said...

Cute new blog-look! I'm glad you ended up having a nice time. I need to come up with a name for Mark. See you Friday.

LAINA said...

Hey. You have some pictures that are pretty similar to the ones I have posted. Too bad that we didn't run into each other down there. It looks like you had fun. I am glad that girls did well camping. Next chance I get I am going to drag Thane camping with me.

Heidi said...

Love the pictures. How nice to be in such warm weather, we woke up to snow this morning! Looks like you had a fun trip.

What's going on? said...

Elaine! How are you! Very cute girls. Thanks for checking out my blog. Rachel

Kristin said...

Looks like you had a great time! I love your new layout too. Very cute heading! :)

Rachel said...

That looks like it was so much fun and perhaps even worth the effort of camping with two kids - a feat we have never attempted. Perhaps we shall in the future!

Catherine said...

I love your new background! What site did you use to design it? I'm so happy camping was a success for you! Isn't Zions the best? Those are my old stomping grounds in Southern Utah. I used to go every summer with my family. Good times!